Monday, October 3, 2011

My old KY home far away....

So I was at work today and greeted some older men at the bar just to help another server out, and I noticed that one of the men was wearing a UK hat. And for a moment there, I honestly forgot where I was...(this tends to happen a lot) I kind of smiled for a second and said to the man, "Hey... I like your hat!" And if you know me, you would know that was definitely ironic considering I have been a die hard UofL fan since I could say the words, 'GO CARDS!'. I then proceeded to tell him that I never thought I would ever say something like that, being since I was a cards fan, but I couldn't help but mention to him that I thought it was comforting seeing that blue and white again. Irony is  pretty strange sometimes. 

I moved to the LA area a little over a month ago, and it is still hard to accept the fact that it is my home. Don't get me wrong, I completely love the place and everything... but it is very hard to get used to it. Going from Louisville, KY to Los Angeles, CA is like night and day. The people are different, the atmosphere is different and it is hard to walk around somewhere where you don't know one familiar face out of 1000. It's all part of the excitement, I suppose...but I am definitely ready to get into the swing of things and feel like this is permanent. It's hard to go from a place that you know everything and everyone to a place where you have to get out your GPS to get to the next Starbucks (and they have a million of them everywhere). Like I said, all part of the excitement. I am trying to get used to how people drive and the mannerisms. For as laid back as some of these people are, they are so impatient on the road and do not like to smile for some reason... but that's okay... I figure, there are good people everywhere and sometimes you just have to show your kindness to people and hope that it carries on to others around you. 

In retrospect, I am amazed with how well all of this turned out. I cannot wait to see where my life is going in the next 4 years. I have always been a planner, and for the first time in my life I am doing something where the unexpected excites me and I take everything day by day. Though it gets hard to adjust to this culture and the people, it will get much easier and a whole lot more amazing. I cannot believe this is all really happening and that I am finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment